sábado, 23 de febrero de 2008

I am a bad person... and it's so much fun!

Nothing makes me more upset over here than seeing large noisy crowds of drunk Americans doing everything they can to perpetuate the stereotype of the stupid drunk American.

Last night my friend Rachel and I were waiting outside the metro station for another friend of ours, and there was a group of four or five drunk American college students and 2 drunk and creepy American men in their 40s. Being the dumb Americans that they were, they thought we might have been Spanish, and decided to ask us where the nearest bars were. And being the pain in the ass that I am, I lied and told them we were Spanish and that we spoke no English. Clearly that will teach them a lesson.

But when I'm not being a horrible bitch to dumb Americans, I'm usually in class or exploring the city. I started my AL (a regular university class with real Spaniards), history of film, this week and it's awesome. The professor talks a little fast and I usually have trouble understanding what the Spanish students are saying, but I love the class. I think it's going to be really helpful and the topic is so interesting. On Thursday we watched some of the first short films ever made, including the first sci-fi film, which was completely ridiculous. The only bad thing about the class is there's an oral presentation that's worth 20% of our grade at the end of the semester. That should be... interesting.

I also went for a run yesterday with Rachel through the Parque Oeste (West Park), which is all of 2 blocks from my apartment and is really pretty. We ran for 15 minutes before we realized that the unseasonably warm 60 degree weather shouldn't be wasted on running. So we decided to sprawl out on a hillside, which lasted for about 5 seconds before I realized we had sat down in a series of anthills. A couple old men walking through the park were pretty entertained as we tried to swat all the ants off and generally freaked out. After that, we walked to a grassy ant-free hill and actually got to relax that time.

Also, for anybody who's been trying to check out my pictures and wondering why there aren't any new ones, I'm really sorry. I've been trying to avoid looking like a tourist, but I think I'm just going to suck it up today and go take pictures of everything I can.

No hay comentarios: